COMER PHOTOGRAPHY COLLECTION AT UT-DALLAS.
Graduate Student Archival Research Assistant in the School of Arts and Humanities
Application deadline: June 5, 2017
Experience: Preference will be given to applicants with some experience in the following areas: serving in art gallery or museum institutions; cataloguing and archiving images and data; capturing and editing digital photographic images; and/or in handling or creating works of art.
Requirement: Student must be enrolled in the doctoral program of the School of Arts and Humanities for Fall 2017
Submit: Curriculum vitae, cover letter outlining past experience relating to the position, two letters of recommendation, and transcripts that document prior coursework in photography, art history, studio art, or related fields.
Send to: Marilyn Waligore, Professor, Arts and Humanities, waligore@ utdallas.edu
Graduate Student Archival Research Assistant annually $30,000 with health benefits (half-time appointment : $15,000)
A graduate student assistant is proposed to serve in a half-time appointment in the role of archivist and exhibition preparator. With the adoption of a cataloguing system, the assistant will identify the images and carefully store them while creating a database to collect both image and text information corresponding to each of the prints.
Responsibilities to include:
- Serve as liaison with donor, faculty, staff and graduate students engaging in research in conjunction with annual exhibitions and artist visits.
- Organize the collection in terms of individually identifying each print and labeling it for storage.
- Devise a system to confirm the location of each image in storage and on display.
- Prepare works for exhibition in terms of matting and framing.
- Establish a database for images with corresponding information verified and entered.
- Photograph all the works in the collection (front and back) and place them in the database.
- Provide assistance with the brochure/catalogue preparation in terms of contacting artists for permission to reproduce their work and preparing images for reproduction.
- Provide assistance with the exhibition installation.
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Supervise a work-study student assistant.